IRV STARR'S COCHLEAR IMPLANT JOURNEY

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

MY FIRST VISIT WITH THE CI SURGEON



Hi everyone. Today I visited with Dr. Jennifer Maw at Kaiser, Santa Clara. The visit went real well, and I like Dr Maw. In addition to her exam and question to me about my health, she answered all my queries. Among the things I found out are: -My surgery will be sometime in August. Dr Maw must put in paperwork first, and I should know in a week or so. - Dr Maw has done about 60 CI surgeries, including a Nucleus Freedom. ; -She uses dissolvable stitches. - I do not have to spend overnight after surgery ; -She suggests waiting at least 5 days before driving; -She put me in for a CAT Scan, and I should find out when very shortly. -The incision is about 6cm(2 1/4 - 2 1/2 inches) I also went for my vaccination while I was there. We finally kicked around the subject of "which ear", and she felt that the right ear(my original choice) was the way to go. That has always been by worse ear, so I assume she does not necessarily think I would do better quicker withe the left. Finally, she thought I would do very well with the surgery. Another step in the journey accomplished. Thanks to you all, I knew the questions to ask, and my visit with Dr Maw was relaxed and informative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home